SaveTheCougar.Org Forum Index

SaveTheCougar.Org
Michigan Cougar sighting archive as reported to SaveTheCougar.Org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
11/06/2009 Chippewa County, Michigan - cougar sighting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaveTheCougar.Org Forum Index -> Chippewa County Michigan Cougar Sightings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micougar
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: 11/06/2009 Chippewa County, Michigan - cougar sighting. Reply with quote

Chippewa County, Michigan - cougar sighting.
Reported Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 11:28 AM to www.savethecougar.org
Date of Observation: 11/06/2009
Time: 8:00 pm
County: Chippewa
Location Description: West bound M-28 between Strongs,MI and Hulbert Lake,Mi
Sighting Description:
I'll start the description by saying I'm an avid outdoorsman,and I,ve always been a little skeptical about cougars in Michigan,until now.I was driving to Newberry that Friday evening to pick up a friend and go back to my place in Houghton Lake.It was a calm evening weatherwise and their wasn't any bad weather to impede my vision.I was driving north on 123 through the western edge of the Hiawatha National Forest and was seeing alot of wildlife off the side of the road (deer,a fox,an owl,and so on) there was very minimal traffic being that it's the middle of nowhere.I was in no hurry so I was averaging 40-45 M.P.H. I made my left turn onto M-28 and was headed west.I drove a few miles down 28 when I noticed a fresh deer carcasss on the south side of 28.There were no other vehicles behind me or coming east bound.I slowed down to see if it had any horns on it just for curiositys sake and as I was approaching it,mind you I was still about 75 yards away from it and closing,I saw what at first I thought was a bobcat coming out of the woods headed straight for the carcass.When I got closer I shined my lights directly on it,and it was looking right at me,with a perfect broadside view about ten or fifteen feet from the deer carcass.I am 1000% sure this was a COUGAR! My only regret is that I was alone and don't have anybody or camera evidence to support my claim.I saw the unmistakable attributes that a cougar has,and I am trying everything I can to let people know that cougars in Michigan are NO JOKE! I own 11 acres of forest in Houghton Lake and have seen just about every form of wildlife come through there,but this is the first time I've seen a cougar in the wild and I have lived in this state my whole 37 years,traveled extensively through it and hunted and tracked all over the place.The most ironic thing about it was when I got home and read the Sunday paper (free press) Eric Sharp had run an article about them with a night vision picture of one taken in the U.P. now a few weeks later the article in the Detroit news about them.I beleive that new light will be shed on this subject in the months and years to come,and the D.N.R. will have to face the fact that they are in Michigan and I think theirhere to stay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaveTheCougar.Org Forum Index -> Chippewa County Michigan Cougar Sightings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: