SaveTheCougar.Org Forum Index

SaveTheCougar.Org
Michigan Cougar sighting archive as reported to SaveTheCougar.Org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Summer of 2007 large black cat sighted Barry County Cougar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaveTheCougar.Org Forum Index -> Barry County Michigan Cougar Sightings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micougar
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Summer of 2007 large black cat sighted Barry County Cougar Reply with quote

Barry County, Michigan - cougar sighting.
Reported Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM to www.savethecougar.org
Date of Observation: Summer of 2007
Time: Afternoon
County: Barry
Sighting Description:
We had just moved here from Hawaii the fall before, my kids had never been to Mi before that and had no knowledge of Cougars "Panthers". We had just gotten a chocolate lab puppy 7mo.old a couple of months earlier.It was late summer our first summer here, my son was on the computer with the sliding glass door open. Our dog started smelling the air which caught my son's attention.Then our dog took off out the door towards our side yard, maybe 50 feet just on the other side of some big pine trees that block the view, he was going nuts barking very aggressively, which he never did before! So then my son started yelling for him to come but he didn't, he kept going nuts just on the other side of the pine trees, out of view.Then all of a sudden my son saw a BLACK PANTHER....run right down the edge of our yard and the treeline to the woods, just as soon as he passed the pine trees he was in full view(25 ft.), about the same size of our dog (60 lbs at that time) "super shiny black fur" and "with a long thick tail"! The panther was way faster than the dog, my son was screaming for the dog to stop, which he did after chasing the panther out of our area!My son was so concerned that he went into the house and got a shotgun, just in case....he is not that kind of person to do that, he was very fearful!I have submitted this to the other website, but I see they have edited it down to no description of the actual sighting.The reason I am submitting this now here is, I see someone else on our road has submitted a report of a black panther also, this is conformation for our family that it was in fact a black panther.....very cool, but not a game!Barry Country has many, many sightings, most people will not submit reports here, I know of many people who have seen tan cats and black panthers! Manning Lake Rd has a mountain lion that is very commonly seen, also around Crooked Lake Delton are many sightings!I also found a big track on the mountain bike trail at Deep Lake in Yankee Springs....I talked to the ranger, he pretty much laughed at me, to me it is not a joke...I see families on that trail with little kids that are way out in front of their parent...in my opinion, it is a CRIME not to warn people there are mountain lions in these woods! People have the wrong impression of these cats, they are not just beautiful, they are very dangerous also if in the woods alone or with children running in the woods....people need to wake up! They ARE HERE....period! People deserve to be alert to the fact they are common in Michigan!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaveTheCougar.Org Forum Index -> Barry County Michigan Cougar Sightings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: