SaveTheCougar.Org Forum Index

SaveTheCougar.Org
Michigan Cougar sighting archive as reported to SaveTheCougar.Org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
July 26, 2009 Alger County, Michigan - cougar sighting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaveTheCougar.Org Forum Index -> Alger County Michigan Cougar Sightings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micougar
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: July 26, 2009 Alger County, Michigan - cougar sighting. Reply with quote

Alger County, Michigan - cougar sighting.
Reported Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 1:12 PM to www.savethecougar.org
Date of Observation: July 26, 2009
Time: 6:00 pm
County: Alger
Location Description: On road H58 near Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore about a mile east of Melstrand
Sighting Description:
Just found this website so the sighting is actually two years old. But I did report it to the National Park Rangers in Munising the next morning as we were camping in the Park. My husband and two daughters (10 and 11) were traveling on the dirt road between Sable Falls and Munising when my husband spotted a BLACK animal in the road about 100 yards in front of us. I slowed so as not to scare it away and tried to quickly grab my camera, but wasn't quick enough. It was walking from left to right across the road, stopped, l ooked in our direction, turned and went back in the woods in the direction it had apparently come from. At that point I sped up hoping to get a glimpse of it in the woods but the foliage was too thick. Being regular campers in National Parks of the west, I knew that what we'd seen had been unusual. My first thought was that it was a black panther even though I knew there shouldn't be any in the U.S. It had a small head, tall legs, long, curled up tail and a smooth coat. Right after seeing it, we came to a brief spot of civilization...basically just a bar...which I assume was the "town" of Melstrand. We camped that night in Munising and I excitedly told the campground owner who blew me off. The next morning we went in town to the Ranger Station so I could fill out an incident report. The Ranger was excited about the sighting, but gave me no indication that it could have been a black cougar and that cougars had been spotted in Michigan. But this Family of 4 will never forget what we saw!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaveTheCougar.Org Forum Index -> Alger County Michigan Cougar Sightings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: