SaveTheCougar.Org Forum Index

SaveTheCougar.Org
Michigan Cougar sighting archive as reported to SaveTheCougar.Org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
7/29/2011 Mason County, Michigan - cougar sighting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaveTheCougar.Org Forum Index -> Mason County Michigan Cougar Sightings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micougar
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: 7/29/2011 Mason County, Michigan - cougar sighting. Reply with quote

Mason County, Michigan - cougar sighting.
Reported Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 11:42 AM to www.savethecougar.org
Date of Observation: 07/29/2011
Time: 1:00 PM
County: Mason
Location Description: Nordhouse Dunes beach trail at the end of Nurnberg Rd. I was about 15 along the trail heading back to my car from the lakeshore.
Sighting Description:
After a few nights of camping in Nordhouse Dunes, I was hiking out back to my car along the main beach trail. About 15 minutes in and coming around a bend, there she was with two young cubs. She crouched low, looked directly at me and gave a growl that I will never forget. Her cubs instinctively went straight up a tree. I would say she was about 75-100 lbs, the size of a big lab. Her cubs were around the size of domestic cats. I stopped, backed up around the bend and gave her her space to cross the trail with me out of sight for about 5 minutes. I grabbed a big stick, gathered my courage and continued on. The cubs were down the tree and I didn't see anything else. I just wanted to get the heck out of there! I am so blessed that nature gave me this experience, I will have this memory for the rest of my life!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaveTheCougar.Org Forum Index -> Mason County Michigan Cougar Sightings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: